Hypertension seminar 4th April 2012
The History behind the event
- The results of the survey conducted by the Caribbean and African Community Health Support Forum in 2010 identified coronary heart disease as a major health issue within the community.
- National studies also show that people from Caribbean and African backgrounds suffer disproportionately from hypertension or high blood pressure.
- So following on a recent diabetes course in the community, this became more apparent that this condition needed addressing.
- Anecdotal evidence also suggests that locally, this picture is no different from the national trend. So with this in mind, the Forum decided to hold this event to give participants an opportunity to hear why this is the case and to raise awareness around the lifestyle changes needed to keep hypertension at bay.
- This seminar is unique because it will be the first time that this health issue is being reviewed locally in public for the Caribbean and African community.